Monday, March 22, 2010

SHARING & VENTING

Hey, it's Joe Hipperson. I've got to unload some thoughts and feelings.

HIPP NIGHTS...still only on once a week. Very soon it's going to be bumped out for Cardinal games...so that means it will be on a couple times a month. The reason this bums me out is because I truly don't feel "The Upper Brass" understand how much potential is being buried by keeping me off during the week.

They used to have me on Monday through Friday. 9 til Midnight. Look, I'm not nailing myself to a cross--seriously--I have a full-time job managing an office and I do not mind it...not...one...bit.

What I do mind is getting e-mails, lots of them, daily, from people who listen. I don't hate that they are sharing with me--I hate that I can't give them MORE! When you impact someone and give them something unique that they can come to fall back on or use as an escape from the grind--THAT is why I do the show.

I'm not doing HIPP NIGHTS so I can get on the cover of the RFT. I saw who they put on the cover (in local radio) recently. That pretty much showed me all I needed to see about who/what they gravitate towards. I'm not doing HIPP NIGHTS so I can be one person by day and then change my personality at night and be "edgy" for the sake of good radio. I'm not doing HIPP NIGHTS so my family can FINALLY get our dream home in the Strawberry Ridge subdivision. (although I really wish I could accomplish that dream) I do HIPP NIGHTS so I can embrace what I love and provide something the people of St. Louis can't get anywhere else. A show about nothing where we can AND WILL talk about everything. People still think that I'm the guy who just talks music and movies. That's fine. In fact, it's better than fine. It's perfect. Let the "majority" think I'm just a 'one-trick pony.' That just makes it more special for those that find and really listen to the show. HIPP NIGHTS is about nothing...and we do talk about everything & anything. It's an escape from the regular. What am I getting at?

Here's an e-mail I got today:

Hey Joe,
I'm a 23 year old pizza delivery driver and of course instead of chasing ladies or having a few beers with my friends on the weekends, I'm usually stuck delivering zaa's. I just wanted to tell you that your show is kick ass and helps me get threw those long Saturday nights on the road. You and your crew rock!

James Levendoski

That's one of many that I get every day. I love that I get them. I also hate that I get them. I've already explained why. I still want them to keep coming--because they continue to fuel me and get me ready for the eventual return (full-time) of my REAL show.

TALK RADIO IS BORING.


Don't believe me? Fine. Pick any talk station in St. Louis and turn it on. Right now.

What do you hear?

If it's local I'm going to guess that it is political and boring. If it's not local then it sucks. Seriously. Why, why, WHY is it I'm the only one who understands what needs to be done? St. Louis talk stations need to remember that we are living in an age of satellite radio. HD radio. Podcasts. Hell, you can get radio apps on your damn i-phone. MY POINT IS: If you program a talk radio station then how/why do you put 'out of town/locally unrelated' shows on--when you have so much local talent!?

If people want syndicated, out of town radio they can find it. In fact, they probably are finding it and not listening to your stream of it. So why continue to alienate people that used to listen more frequently?

So what I'm saying is simple.

But nothing will happen.

Some are blaming the economy for the lack of money needed to employ talk-show hosts locally. It's cheaper to use out of town talent or pre-recorded material.

But what about advertisers? What local business is going to benefit from being on a radio station during a broadcast that isn't local? Think about it. When you have LOCAL TALENT you can use that LOCAL TALENT to go to an advertisers location and fully get behind them. An advertiser feeling that much love will not only stick around, but also buck up for more exposure. There's an expression that I've heard and use in my day to day office dealings:

You have to spend money to make money.

Invest locally. Invest in established talent and cater to your market already being familiar with those personalities.

You want to know another expression that I have to remember at my office?

It's a hell of a lot easier (and more lucrative) to play to your existing customers than it is to try and get a new one.

So, putting that logic in play, don't you think it's best to give the listeners what they know? What they like? Someone that can relate to them?

I'm out. Thanks for letting me vent.

No comments:

Post a Comment